Saturday 28 February 2009

compassion

How do you show compassion to someone who "falls into a pit"? It could be someone you know who has fallen critically ill or who has met with a misfortune or who has fallen into hard times.

We are familiar with the Parable of the Good Samaritan told by Jesus in Luke 10:30-37. Below is the modern-day version of this parable.

A man fell into a pit and couldn't get himself out.

A Christian Scientist said, "You only think that you are in a pit."
A Pharisee said, "Only bad people fall into a pit."
A Fundamentalist said, "You deserve your pit."
A Charismatic said, "Just confess that you're not in a pit."
A Methodist said, "We brought you some food and clothing while you're in the pit."
A Presbyterian said, "This was no accident, you know."
An Optimist said, "Things could be worse."
A Pessimist said, "Things will get worse!"

Jesus, seeing the man, took him by the hand and lifted him out of the pit.


That is the essence of Christ and of His compassion.
That is the spirit of Christian compassion.

"For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near
the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the pit;
I am like a man without strength."
(Psalm 88:3-4)

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud & mire;
He set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand."
(Psalm 40:2)

No comments: