Friday 16 May 2008

why name blog Romans 838?

I am a cancer survivor. I have been in remission for one-and-half years. I was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC) or nose cancer in Aug 2006 and had radiotherapy in Sep-Oct 2006. My personal experience with cancer has helped me to see the pain that cancer sufferers go through. This pain can be physical, emotional or spiritual - the last two can remain long after the physical pain is gone.

Cancer can attack anyone anytime anywhere. No doctor or scientist can say for sure what causes cancer although many theories point to genetics, diet, environment and lifestyle as possible causes - this list practically includes everything in life! And for NPC cases, there is the presence of the EB-Virus infection in the blood.

So now you just discover you have cancer. You are confused, lost & fearful. Or maybe you are in remission like me. You feel uncertain about your future. Don't be afraid. We are in the same boat together. The boat will not sink because Jesus is in the boat with us. Remember the story about the fearful disciples who went to wake up Jesus when they were caught in a sudden, furious storm on the Sea of Galilee? The disciples cried out, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" Jesus rebuked the disciples, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Jesus rebuked them for doubting & thinking that the boat could ever sink while He was in the boat with them. Jesus spoke to the wind & wave & the lake became calm. (Matt 8:23-27)

This story reminds us that Jesus has power & authority over nature. This and many other miracles of Jesus tell us that Jesus has power over diseases, disasters & demons. Jesus is the Lord of creation. He has power & authority over our lives, and that includes our health.

This blog is to encourage Christians who are suffering from cancer that Jesus has power over the storm of cancer that comes upon their lives. Sometimes we do not understand what is happening to our lives but we know that nothing can separate us from the love of God. Neither cancer nor calamity can separate us from the love of God.

And so I decided on the name "Romans 838". I believe it was the Holy Spirit who prompted this name in my heart. I first tried to register this blog using "Romans 828" but the blogname was unavailable as it had been taken by someone else. I went to check the "Romans 828" blogsite & was dismayed to find out that this person had registered it in the year 2000 but had left the blog empty all these years! What a waste, I thought. On hindsight, I am glad the name "Romans 828" was not available as I feel "Romans 838" is a more appropriate name for this blog.

I thank God for reserving the name "Romans 838" for my use. Every posting on this blog will be guided by Romans 8:38-39 which says,

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

nothing can separate us from the love of God,
sockkim

1 comment:

bean said...

God bless you and your strength.